www.flickr.com
abphoto2011 NZ_flickr photoset abphoto2011 NZ_flickr photoset

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Portraits


I was auditing an Indian company few days ago, when I noticed a wide collection of photos hanging on the walls of their office. Many personages, from all over the world belonging to various historical periods, were portrayed with quotes from their books and speeches. Voltaire, Buddah, Kennedy, Edison, SunTzu and many others. This time I had no camera with me, but the one in my mobile. It is good enough for taking few notes and so I did. 

Now, I am OK with Mr. Lincoln and his sentence, even if ordinary, is quite nice




The second personage was already disappointing. I really don't like Ms. Bojaxhiu (a very controversial personage, see "The missionary position"). Yet by some Indians (actually not so many) she is still considered a "bless".


But the next portrait was the one that really shocked me:


For them it was absolutely normal to show Hitler's portrait and quote one of his sentences.
I mean, it is plenty of bloody idiots still doing the same also in Europe, as well as they do with Mussolini, sadly. But no sane person would do it in a office! 
"Even evil people can teach a lesson and he is only one of the many evil, not the worst. Anyway he was a big leader, good example for managers!", so they told me. 
And once again I had to rethink about cultural differences and historical background.
Europeans or, say,  western people, we are too often "Eurocentric". we take as given that the other part of the world share our same opinions about history. Unfortunately it is not like that.
It doesn't mean that they are right - of course they are wrong! - but they were really distant in the 30's and 40's. And still they are, from many points of view.

No comments:

Translate